It wasn’t just the GOP, a lot of people had a case of the dumbs this week. Read on for the choicest facepalms.
1) California Assembly Member Shannon Grove blames abortion for California’s drought. “Texas was in a long period of drought until Governor Perry signed the fetal pain bill. It rained that night,” said the Kern County rep at the California ProLife Legislative Banquet last week. “Now God has His hold on California.” SCIENCE!
2) Biochemist Sir Tim Hunt shared some thoughts on women that made us wish we could revoke his Nobel Prize: “Let me tell you about my trouble with girls,” he said, at the World Conference of Science Journalism. “Three things happen when they are in the lab: you fall in love with them, they fall in love with you, and when you criticize them they cry.” At least we’ve got the #distractinglysexy campaign to console us.
3) And the GOP tries to go blue. In all the wrong ways: Illinois’s Republican Senator Mark Kirk thought he nailed this joke when he said fellow Republican Senator Lindsey Graham and unmarried presidential hopeful was “going to have a rotating First Lady. He’s a bro with no ho.”
4) Then there’s that Australian couple that’s vowed to get divorced if marriage equality is legalized. “For us, fundamentally, when we got married we signed a contract with the state and that contract was around the current definition of marriage and all the things that comes with it. Man and woman for life, for the sake of children,” Nick Jensen, the husband of said couple wrote in an op-ed. “If it came to be that the definition of the contract was changed, the contract is now null and void.” So, in essence, they found in gay marriage their out clause to end their own miserable union. Well played.
5) Some dude—okay, Kyle Smith—wrote in The New York Post that, “women are not capable of understanding Good Fellas.” At least one man disagrees, the writer of Good Fellas himself, Nicholas Pileggi. “I don’t know what the validity of it is,” he told Metro. “A lot of women like the movie. The women I know, from my wife on down, got a kick out of it.” We’re gonna go ahead and take his side on this, especially considering his wife was none other than Nora Ephron.
AN INDEPENDENT FREE PRESS HAS NEVER BEEN MORE IMPORTANT.
Your financial support helps DAME continue to cover the critical policies, politics social changes impacting woman and their allies.